Going Gaited Online Magazine ASK THE EXPERT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

self trimming/rasping

2 posters

Go down

self trimming/rasping Empty self trimming/rasping

Post by Sunny Admin Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:10 pm

Hi Don! I really enjoy your articles each month and look forward to reading each new question! I have one of my own. I am in an area that is outside the city and it's hard to get a farrier to come out here sometimes. I'd really like to learn to rasp my horses hooves on my own as they are barefoot and have hard hooves. Really, all I have to deal with is nicks and chips. Most of my friends do it themselves but I am too worried about messing them up to even try it the first time. Are there guidelines that you can go over with me? How do I get started? Would a "Riders Rasp" be good for me?

Carrey, rural Kentucky Surprised)
Sunny Admin
Sunny Admin

Back to top Go down

self trimming/rasping Empty Re: self trimming/rasping

Post by Don Cloutier Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:31 pm

Carrey- Caring for a horse that only requires a trim is something that any person can do, in your case it sounds like a simple straight forward dusting off. The first thing you need to get pass is the fact that you are going to do something so wrong that it will do some harm to the horse, have confidence in yourself, if I can do this, then anybody can. What I would recommend for your first go round, is to do this with one of your riding buddies that trims their feet, don’t make a big to do of it, keep it simple. I have seen video demonstrations of the Riders Rasp and I think this would be the best direction for you. But keep in mind that this is only intended as an in-between level of proper hoof care. In the big picture, you have things to consider such as; hoof angle and toe length that really should have a professional farrier make that level of hoof adjustment and care, but for the general dusting off of nicks and chips I would recommend giving the Riders Rasp a try, when you purchase a product like that it will come with a good set of instructions with diagrams to get you started.

Don
Don Cloutier
Don Cloutier

Back to top Go down