Going Gaited Online Magazine ASK THE EXPERT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

cause of ridges on hooves

2 posters

Go down

cause of ridges on hooves Empty cause of ridges on hooves

Post by Sunny Admin Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:06 pm

Dear Don- I know this is probably going to be a stupid question, but I have asked others and got two different answers, so I still am not sure what the truth is. I'm relatively new to horses and have a young horse. She's three. She has a lot of rings (ridges) on her hooves. Someone told me that they come from a horse being ill. Another person told me that they are from growth spurts. What do ring formations have to do with any of that, and what is the real deal?

Thanks,

Nikki
Sunny Admin
Sunny Admin

Back to top Go down

cause of ridges on hooves Empty Re: cause of ridges on hooves

Post by Don Cloutier Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:33 pm

This sounds like what is referred to as fever rings. Fever rings can be brought on by changes in diet or sickness but not from a growth spurt. This problem is “usually” associated with a metabolic issue that changes the way the body produces hoof wall. A change in the horse’s diet can be associated with these rings or a severe fever may cause the rings to appear. The best thing you can do for your horse is control its diet and give it some stability. Personally, I see this alot in horses that go from one owner to another owner to another. No two persons care for their animal in the same way, so it is not uncommon for me to notice a few mild rings on horses that are new to me as well. So, stability in diet is very important. When I come across a horse with just one or two mild rings, I don’t worry too much about it; however, if the horse will be used for a competitive event it may be good prudence to have your vet take a look at your horse’s situation.

Don
Don Cloutier
Don Cloutier

Back to top Go down