Going Gaited Online Magazine ASK THE EXPERT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which hoof boots

2 posters

Go down

Which hoof boots Empty Which hoof boots

Post by Sunny Admin Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:03 pm

Dear Don,

I ride a Rocky Mountain Horse gelding. He has been barefoot for quite some time and has taken to it beautifully. For the most part, the places I trail ride are sandy, but sometimes I travel to places that have rough, rocky terrain. My gelding is a little ouchy when we ride on the rocks so I have considered getting EasyBoots for him. Would you recommend them, and if so, should I go for just front boots or get them for all four hooves?

~Sally
Sunny Admin
Sunny Admin

Back to top Go down

Which hoof boots Empty Re: Which hoof boots

Post by Don Cloutier Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:31 pm

Being that you ride on rocky terrain “intermittently” and your horse is fine barefoot, I would go with an Easy Boot, Old Mack or Delta Boot. There are a good number of manufacturers with many different designs. I would check them out on the internet and it would be advantageous to speak to a person in sales from the company you decide to go with. The most important thing regarding boots is a good fit; they can be a nightmare for both you and your horse if you miss the fit. Involve your farrier as well; he/she will need to do a trim before measuring. Most horses are fine being barefoot on the hinds, just do the fronts and see how that goes….

Don
Don Cloutier
Don Cloutier

Back to top Go down