Going Gaited Online Magazine ASK THE EXPERT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To Bit or NOT to Bit?

2 posters

Go down

To Bit or NOT to Bit? Empty To Bit or NOT to Bit?

Post by Dogwench Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:37 pm

Please tell me your opinion of the Bitless Bridle for a 5 year old TWH mare. I have seen them advertised and my sister is using one (by Dr. Robert A. Cook) very effectively on trail rides with her Quarter Horse .

Dogwench

Back to top Go down

To Bit or NOT to Bit? Empty Re: To Bit or NOT to Bit?

Post by Got_gait Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:39 am

There could be 10 responses and 10 different scenarios about whether you should or shouldn't. I'll start you off Laughing

In my opinion, a bitless bridle does well when and only when you have a horse that responds to verbal, seat and leg cues consistently, irregardless of age or breed. The horse WILL find out quickly that when they really want to make a decision about speed and direction, you've got virtually nothing to back you up. (I'm talking from experience here). I've got a 4 year old colt that I started myself. He is very light, very responsive, very obedient. This sort of horse is great in a bitless bridle or hackamore, but it's very hard to teach headset without a bit. I am having to bit him to teach headset and collection and will return to bitless when we have that sorted out. IF your horse is already obedient and performs in the correct frame, go for it. If you still need bit contact for communication, don't expect to be able to do that with the bitless bridle. It is for FINISHED horses.

Got_gait

Back to top Go down

Post by Dogwench Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:00 pm

Based on your response I would liken it to starting off a dog with a "choke chain" or pinch style training collar and moving to the flat buckle collar when the dog has reached a certain level of obedience training. It does make sense. This mare is very responsive and sensitive, a verbal whoa brings her right to a stop. I get a 30 day trial with the bridle, will see how it goes!

Dogwench

Back to top Go down

Post by Got_gait Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:58 am

Can't beat that. Let us know how it goes.

Got_gait

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum