Going Gaited Online Magazine ASK THE EXPERT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Feeding Paprika

3 posters

Go down

Feeding Paprika Empty Feeding Paprika

Post by Got_gait Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:03 pm

Hi Dr. Pike. I have been feeding my horse 1 Tablespoon of paprika twice a day in her feed to enhance the color of her coat. She really hates the taste. I don't want to quit feeding it to her before I even get to see if it helps her color. Is there anything I can safely add to the whole thing that would sweeten the taste for her? I was thinking about molasses or sugar or something but don't know if there are drawbacks to feeding sugar like that. We feed her about 1/2 gallon of Omolene 100 twice a day. She is 3 years old.

Thanks!

Lee

Got_gait

Back to top Go down

Feeding Paprika Empty Paprika

Post by Dr. Daniel Pike Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:53 pm

Well,

The paprika is a new one on me, but we all learn new things everyday! Let me know if it works! I like to use pancake syrup to hide those bad tastes...good ole Aunt Jemima works great!! It is runny enough to help coat everything, and most horses like the taste. I would give that a try and see how it works for you. Keep me posted!!

Daniel R Pike DVM
Dr. Daniel Pike
Dr. Daniel Pike

Back to top Go down

Feeding Paprika Empty Re: Feeding Paprika

Post by Got_gait Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:48 pm

thanks Dr. Pike. Paprika is the main ingredient in those really expensive additives - Gold as Sun and Black as Knight. I've heard of other folks using just plain paprika with good results so I can't wait to see how it works on my mare. Can I use the maple syrup long term? About how much should I use? I have a friend that gives the paprika to her horse year round. Her horse keeps her color even in the heat of the summer and in her winter coat. This year, her mare is TWICE as dark as she was last summer this time.

Got_gait

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Daniel Pike Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:57 pm

Hi,

Sounds like a good plan. Maple syrup will be fine and year round use should be ok. Keep me posted!

Daniel R Pike DVM
Dr. Daniel Pike
Dr. Daniel Pike

Back to top Go down

Post by Got_gait Mon May 03, 2010 7:54 am

Hi Dr. Pike. Thanks for getting back to me. I know you must be busy this time of year. Anyway my husband accidentally got some sugar free Mrs. Butterworths's so that's what I've been using. The whole thing is a pain in the butt and messy and sticky. If she'd just get over the taste of the paprika... Maybe I should call an equine communicator and have her explain the situation. LOL I'll let you know if I see a difference in her.

Got_gait

Back to top Go down

Feeding Paprika Empty Paprika didn't work for me

Post by Shiloh Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:11 am

I tried paprika to keep my Walker black. He had no problem eating it (he eats anything that won't eat him first), but it didn't do anything for his color. Some people swear by it, though. I guess I'll live with a seal brown horse in the summer.

Last edited by Shiloh on Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Shiloh
Shiloh

Back to top Go down

Post by Got_gait Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:15 am

You know what? I had heard that you have to start the paprika in the spring before they start shedding out in order to get the most benefit. I started after my horse already shedded out. Did you? I wonder if that's the problem?

Got_gait

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiloh Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:32 am

I started paprika in Feb., had no luck. I know some people swear by it, but not me.
Shiloh
Shiloh

Back to top Go down

Post by Got_gait Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:36 pm

Hasn't done much for me either, I have to admit.

Got_gait

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down