Going Gaited Online Magazine ASK THE EXPERT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Helping Lameness issue

3 posters

Go down

Helping Lameness issue Empty Helping Lameness issue

Post by Admin Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:00 am

Helping lamenes issue
Posted: Mon 12 Apr 2010 - 19:23 by frecklefacedfrannie
From Frecklefacedfrannie:

I have a TWH/Morgan. I had noticed that his back rear hoof seems "twisted". This has gotten progressively worse over time. My farrier told me that is how my horse walks.
Yesterday I was observing him in the pasture and notice that when he puts that hoof down his hock appears to move outwards and back in (really the whole leg does but since the hock is in the middle thatis the motion I see.)

I assume this is a development issue for muscles. He is 5 this year.

What would you call this gait issue?

Also, yesterday when I was riding him at a walk adn had him pick up speed to go into a faster walk, several times during the one hour ride he had a "sinking" sensation in the rear. What is this called? Suggestions on how to help him?

Thanks
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://goinggaited.com

Back to top Go down

Helping Lameness issue Empty Re: Helping Lameness issue

Post by Dr. Daniel Pike Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:31 pm

Frannie,

I would agree with your farrier. the hoof conformation and its change are a response to the forces applied to the foot as a result of the conformation of the leg. That twisting motion that you describe can be relatively normal and I would not be too concerned.

Regarding the hof conformation, I would want to be sure that the hoof is balanced..both medial-lateral and cranial-caudal (side to side and front-back). IF this is balanced, that you are going to be okay. If gait abnormalities persist or the hoof shape worsens, your farrier may utilize different shoeing modalities to help correct the problem. However, I would not jump to shoeing changes if the foot is currently balanced.

The sensation of falling out behind would be a puzzle. A lameness exam may be indicated to further examine that problem if it were to persist. I would be more concerned you noticed the falling out at higher speeds...when gaiting.

Let me know how it comes out!

Daniel R Pike DVM
Dr. Daniel Pike
Dr. Daniel Pike

Back to top Go down

Helping Lameness issue Empty Re: helping lameness issue

Post by Rockinghorserun Mon May 03, 2010 12:53 am

Frecklefacedfrannie,
I had a walker that twisted his back feet in. He was never lame or off stride. He lived to be 28. I have a riding friend who has an 18yo walker. He twists his back legs in too. Mostly it looks like he turns out at the ankles. I started looking at other horses when I'm behind them and notice it more on gaited horses than non-gaited QH type. Funny thing is I haven't noticed it as much on mares. As far as the sinking in the back with speed, my friends horse does it sometimes and the best we can figure is he doesn't pick his back feet up high enough and catches his toe. She was told to put rattles on his back feet to train him to pick up higher.

Rockinghorserun

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Daniel Pike Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:38 pm

The rattles may work, maybe a question for the behaviorists!!
Dr. Daniel Pike
Dr. Daniel Pike

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum