Going Gaited Online Magazine ASK THE EXPERT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ground Drive

2 posters

Go down

Ground Drive Empty Ground Drive

Post by Nancy Faulconer Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:00 pm

Today I had the opportunity to
work with a young Paso mare. She has a tendency to Trot, and I wanted to be able to see the gaits and not be looking down while riding, so I used two long lines and ground drove her. It was such a useful tool! I was able to really identify the gait change and support her without being in the saddle. Those of you who ate having gait frustrations, give that a try!
Nancy Faulconer
Nancy Faulconer

http://www.cloud9ranch.org

Back to top Go down

Ground Drive Empty Re: Ground Drive

Post by Got_gait Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:45 pm

What a great idea. I'm going to have to try that...as soon as I figure out how to ground drive. Embarassed

Got_gait

Back to top Go down

Ground Drive Empty Ground Driving

Post by Nancy Faulconer Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:07 am

Figuring it out is not very difficult. Here's what I do:

Start out by sending your horse out away from you, with one line only. When he starts moving his feet, you drift with him. Keep encouraging your horse to move forward, anywhere he likes, and you shadow him. In the beginning, you may be at his neck, then his shoulder, and as he gains confidence, you will be able to direct his feet, even when you are at his ribs, hips, and finally, his tail.

Comfort with the ropes and you moving behind him is very important! Be sure to be able to do this from both the right and left with only one rein before you add the second line. This process takes anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 weeks, depending on your skill level and experience.

Have fun! Be safe!
Nancy Faulconer
Nancy Faulconer

Back to top Go down

Post by Got_gait Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:52 pm

I've done the ground driving as you described and he and I sure did get a workout. My butt was sore for days from hauling behind him in the soft ground. He seemed to be a natural at it and it was really fun! I can see how it would be helpful in determining the gaits, but I seriously had trouble keeping up with him at a walk. I'll need a skateboard or something to keep up if he starts to rack when I'm driving! LOL

Got_gait

Back to top Go down

Ground Drive Empty Ground driving

Post by Nancy Faulconer Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:13 pm

Keep at it! Another benefit of ground driving is that the horse will stretch and use his topline, he will also develop more collection, which means he can start to become more athletic in rating his speed, he will become better at using himself in different gaits but without a marked increase in speed. You will both benefit;)
Nancy Faulconer
Nancy Faulconer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum