Going Gaited Online Magazine ASK THE EXPERT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to correct a hard trot?

4 posters

Go down

How to correct a hard trot? Empty How to correct a hard trot?

Post by zeesmom Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:40 am

My 4 year old Rocky mountian horse has a wonderfull gait but his transtion through the trot is rough when trotting he will rattle your fillings lose Very Happy how can I smooth out his trot ?

zeesmom

Back to top Go down

How to correct a hard trot? Empty Re: How to correct a hard trot?

Post by Caroline Siegel-Hoffman Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:50 pm

Are you tryiong to trot him or does he hit a trot when transitioning from a slower gait to say a canter? I hope you are not trying to trot him purpose because that sort of defeats the luxury of having a gaited horse:) I would try half halts. It will transfer the weight back to the rear end while keeping him working on the bit and becoming more sensitive to your body weight shift and light hands.
Caroline Siegel-Hoffman
Caroline Siegel-Hoffman

http://www.findyourgait.com

Back to top Go down

Post by zeesmom Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:19 pm

its when he's shifting gears from walk up to his faster gaits he seems to get stuck in 2nd gear and I have slow him down to keep my seat which defeats the purpose of speeding him up to his gait.

I rode tonight. zee was again hard from walk to his faster gaits . he gaited fine fror a little while then he went to a smooth lope/canter i tried to keep my hands neutral and sit on my pockets but when we slowed from the lope back to a walk again bouncy as a rubber ball

zeesmom

Back to top Go down

Post by Got_gait Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:01 am

Been there, done that. I'm interested in this answer too!!

Lee

Got_gait

Back to top Go down

Post by zeesmom Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:02 am

I have narrowed it down to a collection problem if I keep him in a tighter rein he will move better into his gait he is young (now 5year old) so it may just be time.

zeesmom

Back to top Go down

How to correct a hard trot? Empty Re: how to correct a hard trot?

Post by Susan Brown Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:47 am

It sounds like you are starting to get the right idea. Collection, as well as drive will keep him in gait. You say it will take time. But try not to let him trot at all, so he will get the idea of what you want. The more he trots the more he will think that's his job. Keep your reins in good contact at all times. As soon as he starts to trot, quickly stop him and try again. You mentioned you are sitting on your pockets. That's good. Also be sure your shoulders are remaining behind your belt buckle as well. Shorten your reins and drive him forward. Never loosen the reins or lean forward to ask him to speed up.

I hope this helps!
Susan Brown
Susan Brown

http://www.ridewithpleasure.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down