Going Gaited Online Magazine ASK THE EXPERT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

trimming the frog

2 posters

Go down

trimming the frog Empty trimming the frog

Post by Sunny Admin Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:12 pm

Hi Don- Question for you. I subscribe to a popular gaited horse training messageboard and the gait trainer there commented that she never (NEVER - in big capital letters) allows her farrier to trim the frog of her horse's feet because she claims it can lead to infection and that a horse's frog should be allowed to slough off naturally. I've never heard anyone say that before. My farriers always (ALWAYS- in big capital letters Surprised) ) have cut the frogs. I like them cut. Looks neater. What say you?

Sheela in Missouri
Sunny Admin
Sunny Admin

Back to top Go down

trimming the frog Empty Re: trimming the frog

Post by Don Cloutier Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:29 pm

This is a GREAT question. Whether or not you trim the frog “for the most part” is a matter of choice for the farrier or horse owner. But, the decision to trim the frog should be made based on the question; is it going to be bare foot or shod. If left bare, then I try to let Mother Nature take care of it, if the horse is shod then Mother Nature has less chance to work and some trimming may be needed. I always “at the very least” look at the frog to be certain it is not holding / trapping any material from the ground that you would not want, (which can lead to infections) If the area around the frog is open then I leave it alone. As always, a small amount of common sense is the best medicine. Once again, This is a Great question.

Don
Don Cloutier
Don Cloutier

Back to top Go down