Going Gaited Online Magazine ASK THE EXPERT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Overgrown Hooves

2 posters

Go down

Overgrown Hooves Empty Overgrown Hooves

Post by Sunny Admin Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:02 pm

Hi Don. I've recently rescued a gaited Appy with really long hooves. (I mean REALLY LONG, like several inches too long). My farrier trimmed them just a bit saying that he needs to gradually be brought back to a normal angle or it would stress out his legs. I don't understand. It seems to me that he should be taking off everything he can as soon as he can. Can you give me your thoughts?

Casey, Kentucky
Sunny Admin
Sunny Admin

Back to top Go down

Overgrown Hooves Empty Re: Overgrown Hooves

Post by Don Cloutier Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:31 pm

Boy... Good Question, I can almost see your farrier's point, your farrier (I am assuming) thinks that because the hoof gradually got to this point it may be best to bring it back gradually. I personally (from experience) do not go this route. If I was under this horse, I would take off as much as possible. I would not go crazy and sore the horse, but anything flaky or dead would come off. Some things should be done incrementally one step at a time, however when dealing with the hoof, it is always best to just make right, right.

Don
Don Cloutier
Don Cloutier

Back to top Go down