Going Gaited Online Magazine ASK THE EXPERT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seat Cues to interrupt a pace or a trot

2 posters

Go down

Seat Cues to interrupt a pace or a trot Empty Seat Cues to interrupt a pace or a trot

Post by Sunny Admin Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:21 pm

Hi Ladies! I have a quick question, I think. I have recently begun to try not to pull back on the reins when I'm riding to indicate when I want the horse to stop or slow down. I use seat cues a lot, and my gelding knows them, but sometimes he slips into a pace or trot when gaiting and I find myself needing to correct this. I had been doing it by bumping the reins in a pulsating manner to "check" him, but I didn't know if there was a better way. Is there a seat or leg cue I can use to "interrupt" a pace or trot so I don't have to use the reins, or is that an okay response?
Thanks!

Brittny, FL
Sunny Admin
Sunny Admin

Back to top Go down

Seat Cues to interrupt a pace or a trot Empty Re: Seat Cues to interrupt a pace or a trot

Post by Caroline Siegel-Hoffman Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:04 pm

CAROLINE: That's great that you are using body weight to cue your horse! It can be so much fun to ride when you have an amazing connection with your horse like that. On the gait correction, I think check and release is fine to use in the beginning of changing to this different way of riding for the two of you. Maybe add a vocal cue. I use "easy" to signal a slow down or a change in leg movement. As you build in your seat cues with your gelding, try to "ride" a little more pro-actively each time. What I mean by this is when you are gaiting, you should be pushing your seat bones forward urging the horse to move forward. Also, a strong inner thigh grip should be on his sides the entire time you are riding telling him to keep an active forward movement. Your hands remain in soft contact and steady on correcting him if he breaks gait. So when you relax in the saddle, he too will learn to relax and walk slowly, thus using your desired seat cues to slow him down and put him in good gaits. Good luck. It will be fun!
Caroline Siegel-Hoffman
Caroline Siegel-Hoffman

http://www.findyourgait.com

Back to top Go down