Going Gaited Online Magazine ASK THE EXPERT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Corrective Shoeing Help Needed??

2 posters

Go down

Corrective Shoeing Help Needed?? Empty Corrective Shoeing Help Needed??

Post by withrodg Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:50 am

I have a two year old filly that is believed to be over in the knees but I am not sure that she is? However the result is she has a right front foot that turns outward.. I want to shoe her and help her build up strength in an effort to help her turn back naturally... I know I will never fix this but I think I can help it...

I have been told to cut her outside down and to let the inside grow... I want to act very proactive so I am wondering if :
that is how she should be trimmed? and if padding the inside would help her while the inside grows out to a manageable level?

Please help?

withrodg

Back to top Go down

Corrective Shoeing Help Needed?? Empty Re: Corrective Shoeing Help Needed??

Post by Chelsie Kallestad Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:03 am

For a horse that has a toeing out problem you do need to cut the out side shorter because it grows faster. If a horse stands on one part of their foot more then the other it will grow faster because blood will flow there more because of the pressure stimulation.

It is hard for me to say what your horse needs with out seeing the foot. So I can not answer the question about the padding.

But you really need to try to find a profession farrier that you can trust to help you with this problem. One way to get a good farrier is ask a vet you trust who they like.
Chelsie Kallestad
Chelsie Kallestad

Back to top Go down