Going Gaited Online Magazine ASK THE EXPERT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Riding barefoot

2 posters

Go down

Riding barefoot  Empty Riding barefoot

Post by randi301 Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:36 pm

My ferrior has removed the frog completely. Looks like to much sole as well. Please tell me if my horses been bare foot for 7 years never had a problem than all the sudden new ferrior , new ways, is this proper to remove when you do barefoot? They are so ouchie. How long will this take to grow back?

randi301

Back to top Go down

Riding barefoot  Empty Re: Riding barefoot

Post by Eric Gray Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:43 am

Every farrier has their own way of trimming feet. There are many different shoeing & trimming styles being taught today that contradict one another. I would talk to your new farrier and ask him to explain why he took out so much sole, also share with him that the horse did well with more sole the previous trimming. Also be aware that the sole will "shed" every spring and fall, so it may have been time for the extra sole to come out on its own. Just remeber that if you're not happy with your farriers work now, asking him to reach out of his comfort zone and try a different method will not likley improve his craftsmanship, in my opinion.

Eric Gray CF
Blackthorn Farms & Farrier Service
www.blackthornfarms.com
(770)238-2951
Eric Gray
Eric Gray

http://www.blackthornfarms.com

Back to top Go down