Going Gaited Online Magazine ASK THE EXPERT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Horse who wont slow down

2 posters

Go down

Horse who wont slow down Empty Horse who wont slow down

Post by trailridinggal1967 Tue May 18, 2010 8:31 am

Hi I have a rocky 12 yr old gelding who is perfect in everyway except when riding exspecially with other horses he wants to go like a bat out of hell, and when he is with others he walks sideways and flips around fast to face backwards wether or not theres other horses there or not, I tried circles and one rien stops but its hard to do it all the time with other riders. How can I get him to relax and walk out, he is rough as a cow????????????? I have only ridden him about 10 times, he is a new rescue purchase.

trailridinggal1967

Back to top Go down

Horse who wont slow down Empty Re: Horse who wont slow down

Post by Chelsie Kallestad Tue May 18, 2010 12:08 pm

Hello,
I would go back to basics and get your foundation training good with him first. Build a relationship with him and gain his trust. Then start riding him in the arena with other horses and get him used to this first. Once he is comfortable with other horses in an arena then take him out on a trail that he knows and feels comfortable doing with other horses. This is not just about his gait speed this is about his confidence and relaxation. Once you get him confident and relaxed his speed will slow down, and also getting your foundation training better in an arena will really help you out on the trail.
Thanks,
Chelsie Kallestad
Chelsie Kallestad

Back to top Go down

Post by trailridinggal1967 Fri May 21, 2010 6:05 am

I have no arena but his ground manners are excellent and does everything I ask of him during ground and round pen work. Does not like crowds of horses or things behind him, He whips around when things behind him bother him but he has never spooked on the trail, its wierd. Just want him to slow down and walk and slow his gait are there things I can do to slow him down when riding besides one rien stops??

trailridinggal1967

Back to top Go down

Post by Chelsie Kallestad Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:41 pm

Hello,
Yes circles slow fast horses down and straight lines speed slow horses up. So if you are going along and want your horse to slow down but not stop try to just check him with your reins to slow him down if this does not work turn him in a circle (does not have to be small but not huge either, like a 20') and keep him on the circle until he is going the speed you want and then let him come out of the circle and continue on your straight line, if he gets fast again check him, if that does not work take him in a circle. Repeat as many times as needed until he starts listening to your checking his speed and gets soft and relaxed.
Hope this helps,
Thanks,
Chelsie
Chelsie Kallestad
Chelsie Kallestad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down