Going Gaited Online Magazine ASK THE EXPERT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Corrector Pad by Len Brown

4 posters

Go down

Corrector Pad by Len Brown Empty Corrector Pad by Len Brown

Post by Cheryl Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:05 pm

Hi,

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the Corrector Pad developed by Len Brown the original designer of the Orthoflex saddle. I've never used one, but I've read good reviews. Here's a link to his site:

Obviously there's no substitute for a well fitting saddle, however, I thought the Corrector pad may have merit in terms of weight distribution, pressure points and possibly provide extra support for treeless saddles.

Thanks,
Cheryl

Cheryl

Back to top Go down

Corrector Pad by Len Brown Empty Corrector Pad

Post by Nancy Faulconer Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:51 pm

I have a corrector pad. I thought it would help get the saddle up off my horses shoulders so he could move more freely, but I was disappointed. I am sure it does help some horses. I ended up finding a saddle with a super wide gullet 8 1/2" and I use a Parelli Theraflex Pad under it. It works for all my different horses, and I can add and subtract shims as needed.
Nancy Faulconer
Nancy Faulconer

http://www.cloud9ranch.org

Back to top Go down

Corrector Pad by Len Brown Empty Corrector pad

Post by Meleta B Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:29 am

Good morning! Your question is a valid one, but the only pad I have found that helps to properly distributes weight is the Thinline pad. Cordia & I both love this pad.

I personally have not run into someone using a Corrector with a Treeless (actually a barless is a better description) saddle. I personally do not like any saddle that places pressure down the spine.

Meleta B

Back to top Go down

Corrector Pad by Len Brown Empty Saddle fit and more

Post by Cheryl Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:47 pm

Thanks for your thoughts on the Corrector Pad!

I have three questions I've been anxious to ask regarding saddles:

1) And since you mentioned treeless as actually being barless, perhaps you could tell me if the treeless/barless saddles that claim to have spine clearance actually do. There are several high end ''treeless" saddle makers that look like they are making a saddle that offers the benefits of freedom of movement for the horse, as well as keeping the saddle off of the spine. Do you have any experience with these saddles?

2) Also, are there any traditional "treed/barred" saddle makers that currently make fully adjustable saddles? I've tried the adjustable gullet saddles, but the bars were not adjustable.

3) Then, for the rider (me) who prefers a dressage type seat with a very open hip angle with weight evenly distributed on my inner thighs, rather than directly on my seat bones. I'm having a difficult time finding a saddle that matches my balance. I'm petite and have a very short femur, so when I have correct/comfortable shoulder/hip/knee/heel alignment, my knees are no where near the knee or thigh blocks. My question is, can stirrup bars be lengthened or repositioned farther back on a currently existing saddle? Can the the thigh/knee blocks be moved farther back as well?

If this requires a Herculean effort, can you recommend a saddle for my build and riding style? The closest I've found is the Bates Innova, but I believe it's only adjustable in the gullet. I haven't ridden in one, but in the store, it feels promising.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the latest developments in saddle fit for both horse and rider.

Thank you in advance for wading through these questions!
Cheryl
PS Can you tell I'm really excited that your are contributing to this forum? javascript:emoticonp('Laughing')

Cheryl

Back to top Go down

Corrector Pad by Len Brown Empty Treeless

Post by Cordia Pearson Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:41 am

When asked the treeless question, I normally give a shorthand response--think of stepping down on uneven ground barefoot. Where there is the greatest pressure, there is the greatest pain. Same for the horse. Where you concentrate the force of the ride is where your horse feels it.

The purpose of a saddle tree is to spread the weight of a ride over the largest possible surface area. Taking a tool this important out of the equation is tantamount to tossing the baby out with the bath water. Yes, when the tree or bars are wrong, they are horribly wrong. But when they are right, bliss!

For more info, I would like to direct you to one of the most sensible horsewomen I know: Jessica Jahiel. If you follow this link, you will find her take on the question of treeless.

http://www.horse-sense.org/archives/2001034.php

Cordia
Society of Master Saddlers Qualified Saddle Fitter
www.saddlefitter.com
Cordia Pearson
Cordia Pearson

http://www.saddlefitter.com

Back to top Go down

Corrector Pad by Len Brown Empty Veriflex Saddle

Post by Oops3 Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:37 pm

JT International (JTIDist.com) has what they call a "veriflex" saddle that has cantilevered bars, meaning the bars move to the width of the horse. Their site expalins it well.
I bought one a few years ago for an old Appaloosa I was riding. The fit was excellent for his somewhat narrow self. The leather was quite thick and the saddle heavy. My Appy was tall, and I am short, meaning if the first heave-ho up to his back failed, we gave up for the day! I see that they have managed to shave the pounds down to 27. The prices are still reasonable though..... Very Happy You could probably find one on eBay for even less!
A good place for tack reviews, btw, is Horsetackreview.com. They have a listing of customer reviews on just about every saddle, pad, and whatever ever made.
sue

Oops3

Back to top Go down

Corrector Pad by Len Brown Empty Re: Corrector Pad by Len Brown

Post by tracyw Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:11 pm

I bought a Corrector Pad a few years back and do not like it. When riding in it it feels as if I have three thick saddle blankets between me and the horse. Not very stable. I know you are supposed to ride the horse not the saddle but I never could get used to it. And they are very expensive.

tracyw

Back to top Go down

Corrector Pad by Len Brown Empty Re: Corrector Pad by Len Brown

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down